
My wonderful Grandpa Alvin passed away last week after living 98 wonderful years. I spent some time in Twin Falls with my family last week and am now home again helping to prepare for the memorial service which is this coming
Saturday the 17th.

I have included his obituary below so that you can read about my Grandpa. He was an amazing, generous man who worked his way up from nothing. His parents came to the U.S. from Norway as endentured servants.

We have come across some great pictures as well, most of grandpa with my grandma who passed away May 6, 2007...grandpa on May 6, 2008...crazy huh! Also a great picture of my grandpa with my dad on his wedding day. He was my dad's best man.


Alvin William Strand, 98, passed away peacefully at The Caring Place on May 6, 2008, with family and staff at his bedside. He was preceded in death by his loving bride of 70 years, Alta, one year ago to the day. Alvin was born the fourth child of six in Finley, North Dakota on December 6, 1909. He was born an entrepreneur; devising various ways to make ends meet starting at a very young age. He and his best friend Jake ran trapping lines as adolescents and he sold used textbooks in college. After receiving his teaching certificate, Alvin then found the love of his life teaching in the same small schoolhouse. They were married in 1937 and continued teaching together until Alvin was drafted into the Army during WWII. His service was primarily infantry training at Fort Blanding in Florida. Alta and Alvin moved to California in 1948, where they settled in Glendale and together raised their family of 3 children. Alvin found his niche in the real estate market, and eventually moved into the development side in 1978. He was involved in Kiwanis Club, Salem Lutheran Church, Boy Scouts of America and was a Lutheran Solheim Retirement board member for many years. He enjoyed boating with the family, shark hunting off Catalina Island with his boys, traveling to foreign lands with Alta, and playing cards with family and friends. In 2000, Alvin and Alta moved to Twin Falls, Idaho where they resided at Bridgeview. Alvin served on the resident council at Bridgeview until their move to the Caring Place. They attended church at First Baptist and were involved in bridge clubs throughout the Magic Valley. At the age of 91, Alvin kept his entrepreneurial spirit alive by starting another investment company, Strand Investments.
Alvin is survived by his two sons, Doug (Nancy) Strand of Twin Falls and Steve (Patricia) Strand of British Columbia; daughter Judith Strand Hopkins of Santa Cruz, Calif.; 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 17, at First Baptist Church of Twin Falls, Pastor Jeff Cooper officiating. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests that donations can be made in Alvin’s memory to the Valley House of Twin Falls. The family would like to publicly thank all of the loving caregivers (past and present) who cared for Alvin while he was living at the Caring Place.


And yes, this is me with huge cowboy boots on. Oh, I am going to miss this man. I feel so fortunate to have had such close relationships with all 4 of my grandparents. I still have both of my mom's parents living. I know this is rare and I am very greatful.
This is why I have been a bit delinquent in my posting. I have been a bit sidetracked with family...which is exactly where I should be. Danielle...I will get to those 7 favorites one of these days.
5 comments:
I'm so sorry Coly. 98 years old! It looks like he lived a long and full life--that was a great obituary. such a nice tribute to him.
Nicole, we are so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful Grandpa! I'm glad you had him for so long.
we love you!
Nicole,
Sorry for your loss. Great post and tribute!
What a blessing to have shared so many years w/ him! Thanks for sharing about his life-quite an amazing man! We are praying for you guys!
I've been thinking about you and your family. What a great tribute to him!
Post a Comment