Tuesday, May 19, 2009

my marathon man!

I am typically writing to tell a cute story about my children. Or I am writing to say that I am proud of them for an amazing accomplishment.(i.e. poop in the potty) Well today I am writing to say how proud I am of Evan. He set out at the beginning of the year to be a healthier person for the sake of his own life but also for the life of his boys. He decided that he would train for a 1/2 marathon. He found a training program, a training partner and put his nose to the grindstone. There were so many days when he would be exhausted and say that the last thing he wanted to do was to run. But he would pick himself up and get out there and do it. He and his training partner, Doug Connelly, had never run long distances. But they both finished the Famous Idaho Potato 1/2 Marathon this last weekend in Boise.
This is the cheering section. We had the Connelly family, Fred and Jamie VanMiddendorp and Ev's parents there cheering them on. Evan's first goal was to finish the race. His second goal was to finish in under 2 hours. He came across the line at 1 hour and 49 minutes. He accomplished both of his goals. Way to go Evan!
Here is Doug crossing the line just seconds after Evan.
They were just a tad on the sweaty, stinky side at this time. Thank goodness for the race shirts they were given to change into.
Dads and kids posing with the YMCA dog.


I am so proud to say that Evan is doing what he can to better himself and provide a wonderful example for his family. Congratulations on accomplishing a great thing. You are an inspiration to me and your boys. We love you Ev!!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the nice post and supporting me during the training!
I know you made some sacrifices to so I would have time to run.

fab5 said...

Great post! I am so proud of our guys! It was so fun to watch them both cross the finish line!